Zombies... And Other Creepy Crawlies...

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Painted Storage Container and Aliens

I finished painting the storage container, was going for an old rusted look (still need to find stencils to put shipping markings on, no luck looking at Hobby Lobby yesterday as all were bigger than I was looking for).
I also completed my Khursan Garn Command Pack, really nice figures shown below.

Also finished the pack of Hammerhead Space Demons (also from Khurasan). colors look much better in person. I painted them by:
1. Base coat of Krylon XMetals red Chrome
2. GW Badab Black wash
3. Very light dry brush of GW Red Gore
The Krylon XMetals really has a nice non-metalic wet look to it which I think works well for these guys.
Below is my first 15mm conversion. I took the lady (from the GZG civilians set) with the short coat and hat and filed her chest and hair down. I then lengthend the coat and added a scarf with GW green stuff. Next to him is another GZG figure that I tried to paint up to look like Jayne of the Firefly series.

What I am Working On...
- Rebelminis Civilians (8 of 21 CMP)
- Newbold Space Trolls (sculpted by Bob Olley, 4 of 6 CMP)
- GZG Spacefarers II ( 1 of 6 CMP)
It looks like Bob Olley is opening his own site up again (http://www.olleysarmies.co.uk/home.html),
right now it has a bunch of pictures of some really cool terrain and miniatures, he is a pretty good painter too. I still need to finish a couple of his western looking space scrunts and a guard with guard dog.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Storage Container

Being a lurker at TMP (theminiaturespage.com), I saw a link to an Spanish site for a guy that makes his own scenery:


He made a really cool shipping container that I decided to try and copy for 15mm. I try to save "bits-n-pieces" of things that might be viable for terrain and it looks like I had everything I needed to make a working prototype/proof of concept.

Contents Above:
  • thick baseball/football card pack cardboard
  • small nail/braid
  • metal paper clip
  • Starbucks cup insulation (also have the Seattle's Best ones)
  • small piece of left-over plastic card from the DPM building kit

I guesstimated the dimensions and starting gluing things together with supper glue which took pretty well. Below is the assembled container, hope to post some picture this weekend of how it looks painted.

This took about 30-45 minutes to complete. I will take care to keep track of measurements better next time so the containers will be the same size. I also need to find some stencils to put information on the sides.

What I am Working On...
- Rebelminis Civilians (8 of 21 CMP)
- Newbold Olley Space Trolls (2 of 6 CMP)
- Khurasan Hammerhead Space Demons